12.18.2010

7 Years and blessed in Love!

Exactly 7 years ago I couldn't sleep. I was staying at Aunt Jane's house who only lived a few minutes from the Salt Lake Temple where I would be married the next day. My sweet little sister who was only about Ryanna's age at the time (4ish) was asleep in the sleeping bag next to me and I lay awake next to the fireplace. There was a churning feeling in my stomach and I wasn't sure I'd be able to sleep. I just listened to Kayla breathing, watched the fire, and just lay there smiling. Really, I couldn't wipe that silly grin off my face. I'd only met Brian less than 5 months previous to that moment, obviously we'd had a ridiculously quick engagement, and here I was the night before our wedding. We pretty much spent every possible moment together since we'd met in August and not all of them were great. We might have had one or two moments that were red flag moments - "Hello! You're still young selfish kids with little business getting married." It's possible many or most of couples have those and still run to the alter, especially in LDS culture. What we had going for us though was (and still is) commitment. Not in a contract sign on the dotted line kind of way. More like no matter how bonkers you may or may not drive me I still know I NEVER want to be without you. That and some reassuring prayer experiences sent me to the alter as giddy as you'd ever see a bride. I loved every minute of our wedding day and had more than one person comment on that smile I just couldn't wipe off or in other words what in the world has come over Kristin!?!?!?! Wasn't she the resident man hater????

The last 7 years has had high highs, painful lows, mundane in betweens, long laughs, and in every variation. I've learned about pride(both forgiving it and letting my own go). I've learned about respect, how like most virtues must be given before it's ever expected in return. I've learned about sports....literally every sport.....and somehow learned to enjoy it(overall). I guess that naturally leads to how I've learned about change; my own maturing, transforming, and evolution into a still learning and loving wife. Mostly with change I've learned I'm an idiot for thinking it was my job or privilege to "change" my partner. Hello! This is the man I chose and he's a package deal! The beauty of accepting your partner as they are is they usually follow in suit and embrace your package deal full of wonder and including faults, annoying habits, adult zits, glorious stretchmarks, etc. Now THAT is liberating!!!

It doesn't bother me to admit freely that we've had and still have struggles. Those first couple years I know we shared more than one rough stretch and there were times we both wondered how two people who are so different could really make one life together work. What is really amazing is that for each mountain, big or small, that we climbed together the scales tipped more in our favor. Each battle won has strengthened our union. We're still distinct individuals yet we are also just as distinctly a WE. That must be what happens when you give a marriage the time and commitment to mature. I am fiercely proud of the relationship Brian and I share, how we have grown up together, and that we continue to face the future together absolutely committed.

This tribute wouldn't be complete without mentioning our little offspring. I keep bringing up the commitment factor for some reason but here it comes to mind again. I said we started off with commitment on our side and I think it is worth sharing that whatever quantity of commitment I thought we shared on our wedding day is nothing compared to what it became the day we became parents. I love how we are learning about parenting together. Having children together and sharing in parenting has the potential to solder the bond between a man and woman becoming mother and father together. The last 7 years have been a blessing and quite a ride.


7 years is only a scratch on the surface of the story of Brian and I. I can't wait to live the rest of it and with the guy I NEVER want to live without. Love you Bri!!

2 comments:

Allison said...

You have always been one of my favorite people to get marriage advise from, my wise friend. :)
Congratulations you guys! 7 years and such a strong, beautiful family is something to be really proud of. Here's to seven more! (and an eternity after that...) Love you.

emily said...

You are an eloquent writer! Thank you for sharing! Congrats on your 7 years!