12.09.2010

I can't let sports get me down. Living a new rush.

(I acutally wrote these first paragraphs a couple months ago, but didn't publish it) As much as I relied on sports as a young kid I find myself getting annoyed by sports as and adult. I'm not only thinking about my Bengals who lost a 7 point lead with 2 minutes left today, and lost by a field goal... or the Reds who got no-hit last week for the first time that I can remember... double worst it has to be in the playoffs!!!


 But I'm thinking about what good sports does anymore. I played and watched sports out of loneliness and a need to do something. I enjoyed sports because of the thrill I would get out of competing and having a war in the paint, or on the mound, or in the trenches. Today the focus on sports is stats and championships. Where is the enjoyment? Do these pro-athletes even enjoy the games they play anymore? If they are out of a playoff race, are they playing to have fun or their next contract? 

 I fell in love with the Bengals when they went to Superbowl XXIII in the first year I watched them. I fell in love with the Reds when they won the 1990 world series. And then when I moved to Utah from Cincinnati, I fell in love with watching Stockton to Malone. With all of my favorite teams combined I have one championship and three small market teams that are always looking in from the outside. The Reds, Bengals and Jazz all made the playoffs in 2010 but I honestly could hardly watch an entire game for any of them. The Reds go no-hit last Wednesday... the Bengals laid an egg (mostly their kicker) against the Jets... the Jazz always have to play the Lakers. So you can say the first problem is that my teams just aren't good enough... the second problem is, they probably won't ever be. 

 For pro sports, the focus is on winning and how much money it takes to win. For my teams, who don't have the money that the Yankees have, It is always "tough luck." (Back to today) I guess I can't complain about my Jazz. Last night they lost to LeBron, but so far this year the Jazz are still atop their division and are an exciting team to watch. 

 The Bengals... well, losing 9 in a row sucks. Last night, I made my debut as a basketball coach. Coaching 7th grade (four 6th graders too) is quite the adventure. These are not boys, I am coaching girls. Most of the girls haven't played much but there are those who live, eat and breath sports. My job is to teach fundamentals and to make sure they are enjoying their time. My philosophy on coaching is to show endless confidence in my players and get the most out of them.

 In football this year, while playing teams that were much better than we were, I failed. My offense scored just 6 points in the final 5 games. In basketball... well, the jury will be out for a while on this one. Last night was a new rush for me. I can't play anything but church ball anymore, so its time to live my competitiveness through those I coach and parent. I will try hard to not be one of 'those dads,' I promise. 

 Anyway, last night the Lady Utes were a little intimidated by the other teams size. The Pirates from Mount Harmon came into the gym very disciplined, hooting and shouting their cadence as they stretched and warmed up. My girls were shooting, laying up, and rebounding while having a good time. They were excited, and nervous much like me. My girls would say, "why are those girls all so big?" I replied, "must be something in the water, they are from down by where Shawn Bradley grew up..."

 I am proud of the Ute girls. In a game with just 6 minute quarters, you can't get behind early. After the Pirates scored the first two, my girls found it in them in the second quarter to take a commanding 9-6 lead at half time. IN the 3rd quarter the Lady Utes didn't score but 2 points and found themselves down 14-11. The score would stay the same with a little over 3 minutes left in the game when we hit a free throw. 14-12. A few trips down the court later we kept the momentum and hit the tying shot, 14-14. Immediately the balloon seemed to deflate as the Pirates came down with less than a minute left and took the lead 16-14. Without panic, the Lady Utes went down and got a rebound off of a close shot and put it back in for a 16-16 tie. In the matter of 30 seconds both teams put the ball in the basket more than in the previous 9 minutes of play! Now, just 44 seconds remained and the Pirates had the ball. With a missed shot, the Utes got the rebound and pushed the ball down court and got the foul while driving in. 

 I called a time out and told the Utes, "we just need one of these free throws and 22 seconds of defense.." The first free throw bounced around and went down. The second, missed. The Pirates got the ball and went down with a desperation shot and the Utes won. 17-16. What I loved about yesterday was the intensity of those proud parents and the fact that the Utes never backed down. No matter how big the girls were, the Utes never thought the game was lost. Coaching is fun, perhaps a replacement for sitting on the couch and watching my professional teams continuously let me down.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I like this post a lot. I think you and I are growing up! :) Love ya.