7.30.2008

While Brian was chilling with Miss Utah...

....Ryanna and I were in Montana soaking in some wonderful family time! So here's the deal. A few weeks ago when Brian agreed to MC the pageant I was really excited and just assumed I would be there to support him and all that. Well I casually mentioned that I couldn't wait to be there and Brian (already nervous at the prospect of what he was doing) kinda freaked out at the thought of me being there. He (nicely) explained how my presence would not be helpful and would only serve to make him more nervous....I kind of thought that was a crock so I said the only way I wouldn't be there is if he found a way to get me out of town (aka plane ticket to Montana). Well we started checking air fare and it was totally unaffordable. So as the day approached I would tease Brian but agreed I wouldn't be there if that was what he really wanted. As a consolation prize he did want me to go with him to the rehearsal and luncheon so that was nice of him. The Wednesday before the pageant I was feeling the urge to go home and had a brilliant thought. I thought to myself, "Self, there is still one option you haven't checked out...flying out of Grand Junction, CO." Grand Junction is closer than Denver or Salt Lake. I don't know why I didn't think of it before. Well one quick transaction later Brian had booked me a flight to Montana through Grand Junction leaving Friday and returning Tuesday...for only $150!!! It was meant to be.
(Brian might not appreciate this photo but it's his own fault. I wanted a picture of him in his tux and apparantly it was too painful to give me that one request. First he put on the shirt and jacket while still in his ripped up cargo shorts. Then he went back in the dressing room and came back out with his t-shirt on with his tuxedo pants...COME ON!!)
Ryanna is a natural born flyer. It helps that the flights were all under an hour and a half long. We did have one melt down but a nice old lady came to my rescue and distracted Ryanna by shaking a lanyard in her face. Thank goodness Ryanna has a lanyard fettish. On another flight a guy walked down the ailse with a lanyard on and Ryanna started yelling "OWIE OWIE OWIEEEEE!!!!" How do you explain to the other passangers that you're not beating your child. Instead she is just calling out for a coveted lanyard.....of course.

Ryanna really seemed to remember my family. She played from sun up to sun down. On Sunday morning while I was getting ready she wanted Kayla to carry her everywhere and threw a fit when it was Kayla's turn to go get ready. She sure LOVES all her uncles and aunts(not just in Montana, we're lucky to have so much support). I never had to coax her to sleep. She went right to sleep when I put her in her bed - beautiful. She loved jabbering to everyone and anytime she saw my Dad she would point and say Bumpa Bumpa! Very cute. Montana is so beautiful and open. This is my parent's back yard and where I grew up from the age of 3. I am so blessed to have the unconditional love and support from my parents and all of my family. I spent some time hearing about my grandparent's history. My goal is to write a family history starting with my Grandma and Grandpa Scoffield. They grew up north of Salt Lake. I thought one story my Grandma told me was so cute. When she was in 6th grade her teacher asked each student to share what they wanted to be when they grew up. She stood up and said, "I want to live in Montana and own a horse." BOY did that wish come true!! I wonder if she ever imagined just how many horses she would own. I'll have to share more fun stories about them later (like when they were 17 and Grandpa had Grandma out until 3 in the morning!!!! My Great Grandma kept a journal and on that night it said, "Donny better watch out!" - LOVE IT). Tragedy struck on Sunday when I forgot to bring my brain and Benedryl to church. I left Ryanna in the nursury and they had peanut butter with their snack. HOW COULD I FORGET TO TELL THEM!!!! Well, she had reaction so my awesome little brother Jared rushed me to the store to buy benedryl and then home to recuperate. Her face and chest were covered in welts. I WILL NOT MAKE THAT MISTAKE AGAIN!!! I was sick with myself all day. You can see in the pic below irration on her chest, neck, and face. Good thing Uncle Jared was up for playing with her. She grabbed one popper and handed him the other and they set off to walk laps around the house till she was too tired and crashed. Thanks Jared for being my lifesaver that day. We love you!!!
By Monday Ryanna was feeling much better and ready to pound on the piano, play at Great Grandma and Great Grandpa's house, and visit the Hargroves. Tannis and Am are really into natural medicine so they did some work on Ryanna and I to hopefully help with her allergies. Thanks guys!!!

Uncle Nath taught Ryanna the art of rocking all by herself. She never tired of having playmates everywhere she looked. The music you hear is Nathan's Van Halen CD. It's funny how things that used to sound like hard rock now sound pretty mellow. I'm glad he doesn't just follow the "trendy" music of the day.

3 comments:

Mike, Sha, Kenna, Kate, & Garrett said...

Glad you are home and that had a great trip. Scary with the peanut butter!:( I was panicking for you while I read.

TOVAR said...

How fun for you to be with the fam! It's so awesome when flight prices are too good to pass up. Sorry about the pb scare. That is actually more a lame choice of the nursery since it isn't the only thing to snack on but is a common allergy. So sorry about that.

Cassia said...

Wow! I'm glad you mostly had fun, though that Sunday experience sounds horrible. It's so hard because, as someone who hasn't had to deal with allergies, I wouldn't even think about that unless it were mentioned. Yikes! I'm glad you were able to get some medicine quickly.