4.16.2011

Short version: I did a little baby triathlon today. 250 yard swim, 8 mile bike, 3 mile run. My only goal was to not stop at any time or walk during the run and I did it. Why did I do it? Well I've never really made my health a priority. This year I decided it was time to change that and eat a healthy balanced diet and by exercising 6 days a week. Thanks to some supportive friends(GO TEAM 4) and surprisingly my own determination I'm going strong. This triathlon was a lesson for me and as an example to my kiddos; of how hard work and consistency pay off and that being healthy for health's sake is worth it!!

Minutes before I was in the water "swimming"
See the 2 on my arm?
Final moments on the bike
Starting the run followed by my biggest fans :)
Bri said Q was calling for me
poor lil guy finally gave up
Crossing the finish line. See my medal?? I guess they
wanted everyone to feel special ;)
Mommy did it!

Long version: I was planning on writing about the last four months but I'm going to have to save that for later. I'll just stick with my experience today. If I decide to do a tri again I want to be able to go back and read about this experience. Well let's just get right down to business. THE SWIM: Near drowning would probably be a better description. Sure I took swimming lessons as a kid so I was probably about 10 the last time I swam a single lap and I'm sure I was below average. So a month ago my sweet and amazing friend Tari convinced me to get in the pool with her for a refresher course. It went pretty good. She said she had seen worse. So between that lesson and the swim today I've been in the pool praciticing about once a week. Well about 10 minutes before the race I found out the pool was 25 yards in length not 50 yards. Obviously my sense of distance is no good and the 2 lifeguards I asked a month ago were misinformed. So the idea of swimming twice as far made me nervous and it just didn't go well while I thrashed along in the water. Ugh. THE BIKE: This I enjoyed and knew that I would. The first 4 miles were uphill and I was passed by probably 5 or 6 pros. They were seriously impressive. The last 4 miles were downhill which is obviously a great relief while biking. I would love to invest in a road bike in the future. I just put on my classical music/MoTab/show tunes and enjoy the ride. Not much else to say about the bike.
THE RUN: Transitioning from the bike to running is killer. My legs felt like they were 500 pounds a piece. First mile I had evil thoughts. "noone will know if I walk for just a few minutes, loosen up my legs." "this was a stupid idea, running is for psychos and criminals" "Pump It?? Easy for you to say Black Eyed Peas. My legs feel like they are full of rocks!" Like I said, that transition from bike to run is killer but after about a mile I got my running legs back and felt good. Good for me is when your legs may be feeling it and I may have a side ache but I'm good with the pain and dare say enjoying the burn(for a limited time, not in the marothoner pain loving way;).

The best part of the day for me was Ryanna's excitement. I want her to know that having a real, womanly body is a beautiful gift from God. Feeling like a real woman has nothing to do with the scale or a dress size. I hope she sees that I exercise to be healthy, accepting my body the exact way that it is.

WHAT THE KIDS WERE UP TO WHILE MOM WAS MOVIN':

8 comments:

Mindy said...

Yes, she's seen worse. That would be me. ;)

Mike, Sha, Kenna, Kate, & Garrett said...

I am so proud of you. As proud as if I did it myself. You are awesome. I want to be more like you, but I will settle for being a best friend.;)

Jackie said...

So proud of you babe!!! You look awesome too! Next week my kids and I are running a mile fun run together...not a mini tri, but hey it should be fun! Love ya!

Allison said...

Kristin-- wow. I am so impressed. You have been so dedicated. Way to be such a great example to Ryanna (and to me) about loving your body and being healthy for the right reasons. Love you

Brian said...

...and Daddy, husband was there to test her patience and commitment with a sigh every time she wanted to take off to the rec and leave me with the kids.. all alone... I also tempted her with McDonalds, soda pop, Pizza, Farr's Ice Cream and so on. I am the DEVIL :)

Tari said...

I love it!!!!! You will have to look back way back on my blog sometime and read my first tri! And don't discount this tri as a mini tri, it's a pretty good one. Sorry I was wrong on the swim as well I forgot it was down and back in the same lane. :( I also love your evil thoughts during the run! Have those all the time, everytime I run! So happy for you!

Linda said...

Seriously, I'm impressed! Way to go! I don't know if I could do something like that (I mean I COULD if I put my heart into it, but I'm the girl who pretended I was mentally handicapped so I didn't have to run the mile in school. haha)

You rock! You should be very proud!

jenn + michael said...

Congratulations! I would not be alive to tell the tale. I've been trying to stay healthy this year too. You should check out myfitnesspal.com. It's free and I love it. It has helped me be accountable for my goal and what I eat. And this is not spam. It's just a suggestion. :)