9.09.2010

Preschool, Rhyming, and a Beach in Vernal?!?!

I set up a little classroom at Brian's office and started doing preschool with Ryanna this week with my friend Lauren and her little boy Dax. If you can't tell from Ryanna's face she feels SOOO BIG and is loving it.

Quinten is just as enamored by the school fun. He is all about drawing on the board just like Ryanna.
Quinten ate his entire lunch while holding that clipboard in front of his face. I guess he likes green looking food! I wanted to post the video I have from this scene but I'll just have to tell you all about it. Ryanna loves to sing loud, really loud. So it is no surprise that Quinten is often humming a tune that sounds a lot like whatever Ryanna's latest ballad happens to be. Well on this day the green and blue clipboards we have inspired her rendition of "I'm so Blue" - a song off of Veggie Tales. Just so you know I love Veggie Tales. If you've never seen an episode try Lord of the Beans(spoof of Lord of the Rings) or Minnesota Cook(Indiana Jones spoof). Funny and kid friendly. Anyhoo, Ryanna found the blue clipboard and held it in front of her face while belting out "I'm so BLUE-UE-UE, BLUE-UE-UE, BLUE-UE-UE UEEEE! I'm so BLUE I don't know what to do!" When Quinten picked up the green clipboard (singing "OO-OO-OO" just like his sister by the way) she decided to do some freestyling and came up with "He's so GREE-EE-EEN, GREE-EE-EEN, GREE-EE-EE-EEN!!! He's so GREEN he don't know what he mean!" Not only did I consider this clever for a 3-year-old but I was excited to see her putting her rhyming skills to work. Rhyming has been her latest game she has come up for me to play with her before bed. It goes something like this. Me: Light. Ry: Flight. Me: Sight. Ry: Kite. She's getting really good at it. I'm loving this time with her and was especially thrilled when we finished Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and she begged me to read it again.
Here's Ryanna's Baywatch audition. I had no idea Steineker Resevoir has beautiful sandy beaches. Sure they can't compare to a real ocean beach but when you live in the middle of nowhere, in the mountains, this scenario is highly unlikely. There are plenty of truly gorgeous, sandy, perfect for sandcastles spots and the sound of the water is heavenly. I just read my book while the kids run, dig, chase, hide, and soak up the sun. This will be a regular activity next summer. It is just a shame we didn't discover it until September!
Things turned ugly when Quinten's stick met Ryanna's shoulder. I didn't see the actual moment of contact but I'm pretty sure it involved Ryanna trying to take Quinten's stick away and he wasn't having it.
I love anywhere the kids can get their energy out while I can do something I love too.

2 comments:

Allison said...

hey girlie. You are such an awesome mom and Ryanna is a genius. I taught 2nd grade for four years and most those 7-9 year olds still struggle with rhyming. Is it just you and your friend or are other kids going to come to your preschool? how fun. love you

Emily Baldwin said...

I love your stories!