5.04.2009

Under two weeks until THREE OH!

Ladies and Gentlemen who share my fate of turning 30 this year, my #1 goal from here on out is to wear sunscreen! The long term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, plus I don't want cancer.

Following are the rest of my 30 goals to shoot for starting on my 30th:
(a big thanks to Baz Luhrmann for inspiring me to make these 30 goals to live up to):

#2, I will enjoy the power and beauty of my youth; In 20 years I’ll look back at photos of myself and recall in a way I can’t grasp now how much possibility laid before me and how fabulous I really looked….

#3 I will realize I am not as fate as I imagine, though I will start eating healthier.

#4 I will not worry about the future; but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubblegum. The real troubles in my life are apt to be things that never crossed my worried mind; the kind that’ll blindside me at 4pm on some idle Tuesday.

#5 I will do one thing everyday that scares me.

#6 I will Sing

#7 I won’t be reckless with other people’s hearts, AND I won’t put up with
people who are reckless with mine.

#8 I will floss

#9 I won’t waste my time on jealousy; sometimes I’ll be ahead, sometimes
I’ll be behind…the race is long, and in the end, it’s only with myself anyway.

#10 I will remember the compliments I receive, forget the insults; if I
succeed in doing this, I’ll write a book.

#11 I will keep my old love letters and throw away my old bank statements.

#12 I will stretch

#13 I won’t feel guilty if I don’t know what I want to do with my
life…the most interesting people I know didn’t know at 22 what they
wanted to do with their lives, some of the most interesting 40 year
olds I know still don’t.

#14 I’ll get plenty of calcium.

#15 I’ll be kind to your knees, I’ll miss them when they’re gone.

#16 Maybe I’ll have more kids, maybe I won’t, maybe I’ll lose my job at 40 or maybe I’ll do this forever… maybe I’ll do the funky chicken at my 75th wedding anniversary.. what ever I do, I won’t congratulate myself too much or berate myself either.
#17 I’ll Enjoy my body, use it every way I can… I won’t be afraid of it, or what other people think of it, it’s the greatest instrument I’ll ever
own..

#18 I’ll dance…even if I have nowhere to do it but in my own living room.


#19 I’ll read the directions, even if I don’t follow them.


#20 I will NOT read beauty magazines, they will only make me feel ugly.


#21 I’ll get to know my parents, I never know when they’ll be gone for
good.

#22 I’ll be nice to my siblings; they are the best link to my past and the
people most likely to stick with me in the future.

#23 I’ll Understand that friends come and go, but for the precious few I
should hold on. I’ll work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and
lifestyle because the older I get, the more I need the people I knew when I was young.

#24 I want to Live in New York City once, but I’ll leave before it makes me hard.

#25 I want to live in Northern California once, but I’ll leave before it makes me soft.

#26 I’ll travel

#27 I”ll Accept certain inalienable truths, prices will rise, politicians will
philander, I too will get old, and when I do I’ll fantasize that when I was young prices were reasonable, politicians were noble and children respected their elders.

#28 I’ll Respect my elders.

#29 I won’t expect anyone else to support me. Maybe I’ll end up with a trust fund, maybe my spouses family will strike it big; but I never know when either one might run out.

#30 I’ll be careful whose advice I buy, but, be patient with those who
supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of
fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the
ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

But once again back to #1, I will wear sunscreen.

Baz Luhrmann's song 'Everybody's Free' helped to inspire this. Its all good advice and you will find consistent similarities to the song. These are truly my goals, wish me luck!

3 comments:

Kristin said...

I like this optimistic attitude and am excited to see you become better and better with age (you seriously do!). Since I've finally learned to work on myself rather than on you I can promise there is only one goal I will BUG you about: WEAR SUNSCREEN! I want you around a long long time and we both know how bad you burn. Love you and I'm excited your bday is coming up.

Kent said...

Good luck with the whole flossing thing. I get on that train every time I go to the dentist for about a week and then never again.

Cassia said...

Good luck! :)