7.27.2008

Since I have the time...

I might as well post something.

Kristin is out of town at her parents. The deal was, she wouldn't come the my event on Saturday if I would buy her a ticket to Montana to visit her family... so I did. She is there, I am here.

So what was the big event? The Miss UBIC scholarship pagent. No, I didn't enter as a contestant, I was asked to be the Master of ceremonies... something I have never done. I got the request because I work at the 'cool' radio station. The first two people at the station turned it down because they were scared... I wanted to turn it down but because of my willingness to do stuff other people don't want to do, I reluctantly agreed. Now, I am not trying to be the guy who is trying to come across as the 'good guy' because I did it when I didn't want to but was really excited and blah blah blah. I was scared to death. I had nightmares Friday night about the pagent and all the things that could go wrong. The reason I wouldn't let Kristin be there was because I didn't want her to see me doing something 'potentially' embarassing. So thats why!

Anyway, a little side note, I got to MC with MISS UTAH! I was pretty excited about that, I have never met nor talked to a beauty queen. I wanted to see if they were the stereotypical pretty and ditzy girls. I wanted to see what these award winning beautys were really like. Miss Utah, newly crowned just two weeks ago, was really cool... I must admit. She is only 18, she is really a GOOD girl and not a ditz. For much of the day I was with her and her sister either at the luncheon, the practice/run through of the program, dinner and the show. It was a good time. In the picture below is Miss Utah on the Right, the now former Miss Uintah Basin on the left and the NEW Miss Uintah Basin in the middle (the one I announced as the winner on Saturday).

I posed for pictures with all of these ladies, but I don't have them. I had them taken for my future resume needs and also as a momento... the lady who took them still has to email them to me.

So, Miss Utah is going to be in the Miss America Pagent in January. You remember the former Miss Utah who did push-ups on stage?? Yeah, big shoes to fill... but she will do great.

Now, just so Kristin doesn't get the wrong idea, I have a purpose for writing all of this for everyone. I am very reflective on life this weekend, more than usual. Reflective of good things. Being around these amazing women have reminded me what I need to be grateful for and also they have helped me remember the beautiful things in life. It is so easy to get caught up in the frustrations of life. A busy day at work, stress at work, your favorite TV show being cancelled, tough days in your marriage etc... but what we should really do is remember what is beautiful and why we believe the things we believe. The girls that I hung out with are all members of the church. They are all faithful and not ashamed to share what they believe. IN fact, in Miss Utah's Bio she lists the Young Womanhood award as one of her best and favorite accomplishments.

While at dinner at the Hollow Moon Cafe for dinner before the show, I sat on the end of the table next to Miss Utah and across from her sister. I was amazed at the bond they have and surprised that the conversation the entire night between us 3 and one other lady was entirely spiritual. Miss Utah's sister, recently married, told stories of her desire to serve a mission and then how her husband swept her up and kept her from going (Ring a bell Kristin?). We talked about marriage and its ups and downs and the various missionary roles we can play even while married and not on a full-time mission.

Without writing a book, which I could at this point about last night, I will sum it up with this:

Once again, I am amazed at how wonderful these girls were last night. They reminded me of the great choice I made in a wife. They also gave me a new appreciation of the entire Miss America pagent system. Although there are some traditional things like the "swim suit competition" and the "evening gown competition" that can seem so shallow (even though I guess it is a 'beauty pagent'), there should be a lot of credit to the rest of the program for the good that they do. Any girl that participates needs a platform to change the world. They need to really believe in it and work for it. It isn't just a bunch of pretty girls showing up in varioius places representing her states, counties, or country. These girls really do live virtuous lives and are great examples to be followed.

Don't worry, my pics will be up soon! :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats Brian
I am proud of you.
You have developed into an incredible guy and brother.
What cool experiences you are having.
Sooo. Cool.

Stefanie

Kent said...

I was waiting for the obligatory "Being around all these girls has made me realize what a catch my wife is."

C'mon, dude, even I know to include that.

Kristin said...

Kent you're so great to say something. I could have done with a little more "my wife is awesome" stuff. But I must point out that in the last paragraph he did say "they reminded me of the great choice I made in a wife." So he's off the hook. :)